DIN Standards Committee Firefighting and Fire Protection
The Firefighting and Fire Protection Standards Committee (FNFW) has developed from the "Department for standardization of firefighting equipment in the Standards Committee of the German Industry" which was founded back in the year 1920.
According to the structure of the International and the European Standardization, it is today divided into five branches, some of which have assigned their special tasks to individual working committees.
FNFW carries out the standardization work required in its domain, in fact on the national, European and International level. Its activities are focussed especially in the field of fire protection, disaster control, preventive fire protection, technical support and crisis management.
The Responsibility of FNFW ranges from the standardization of fire service equipment to firefighting and rescue service vehicles, fire detection and fire alarm systems, fixed and mobile firefighting systems and fire extinguishing equipment to the construction and facilities for fire stations, and furthermore, the domain of Societal security.
In order to take the increasingly important European and International Standardization of firefighting and fire protection equipment into due account, the working committees on the European and International level are cooperating very intensely with the following committees of CEN:
- CEN/TC 70 "Manual means of fire fighting equipment";
- CEN/TC 72 "Fire detection and fire alarm systems";
- CEN/TC 158/WG 3 "Fire fighting helmets";
- CEN/TC 191 "Fixed firefighting systems";
- CEN/TC 192 "Fire service equipment";
- CEN/TC 391 "Societal and Citizen Security"
- ISO/TC 21 "Equipment for fire protection and fire fighting";
- ISO/TC 94/SC 14 "Fire-fighters' personal equipment";
- ISO/TC 223 "Societal Security";
- ISO/TMB/SAG S "Strategic Advisory Group on Security"
In addition to this, an especially close cooperation is maintained with the following national standards committees at DIN:
- Valves standards committee (NAA);
- Road Vehicle Engineering Standards Committee (NAAutomobil);
- Building and civil engineering standards committee (NABau);
- German commission for electrical, electronic and information technologies of DIN and VDE (DKE);
- Optics and precision mechanics standards committee (NAFuO);
- Heating and Cooking Equipment Standards Committee (FNH);
- Timber and Furniture Standards Committee (NHM);
- Personal protective equipment standards committee (NPS);
- First aid services and hospital standards committee (NARK);
- Railway standardisation committee (FSF);
- Shipbuilding and Marine Technology Standards Committee (NSMT);
- Safety design principles standards committee (NASG);
- Tank installations standards committee (NATank);
- Fundamental Technical Standards Committee (NATG);
- Water practice standards committee (NAW).