IT services primarily involve the maintenance and operation of existing IT systems. However, this area also covers software development and programming, web design, multimedia applications and other forms of software development.
Such services include:
- IT consulting services
- IT and network security services
- IT service management
- IT forensics (preservation of evidence in cybercrime cases)
- data processing services (not only in data centres but also cloud computing services, including printing and shipping services)
- third party data processing facilities, such as servers
- electronic archiving and microfilming
In addition, IT services are increasingly being included in service packages in other areas.