SME Commission (KOMMIT)
To be successful, export-oriented small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) need to include standardization in their company strategies. Those who take part in standards work help shape the results of that work, and gain a knowledge lead as well as a competitive edge. At the same time, standardization is a catalyst for innovation. The use of uniform technical standards helps remove barriers to trade and opens up markets - in Europe and throughout the world.
The SME Commission investigated which measures are needed to help small businesses get involved in the standardization process. It also looked at how the needs of SMEs can be best taken into consideration in the development of standards and determined how SMEs apply standards and which conditions are needed to help SMEs use standards more effectively.
The result: Various measures for helping SMEs gain better access to standards and standardization. Some of these measures are listed below.
Submitting new work item proposals online
- Anyone can submit a new work item proposal to DIN via the website.
Information on current project
- On the websites on DIN's standards committees
- Information on new projects and developments available via RSS feeds
Web conferencing for committee meetings
- Experts can participate in the standardization process anywhere they want by taking part in "webinars".
- This reduces travel times and costs.
- It also accelerates the decisions-making process.
DIN's "Draft Standards Portal" (German only)
- Those who cannot become personally involved in the standardization process can still contribute to the content of draft standards by commenting on them.
- Draft standards can be viewed and commented on this portal for free.
Beuth Verlag's webshop
- At the Beuth webshop standards, technical rules and other documents can be searched for free. They can also be purchased by direct download.
- Free information includes summaries and tables of contents that help customers choose the right standard.
- Beuth also offers comprehensive services such as standards management solutions tailored to individual needs.
Standards Flat Rate - Beuth's subscription service
- Save money by purchasing standards at a fixed annual flat rate.
- Either 25 or 50 DIN Standards, VDI Guidelines and/or ISO Standards can be purchased over the period of one year at a very low price.
Standards Ticker - Beuth's update service
- Subscribe to information that helps you keep your standards collection up-to-date - with the option of automatic document delivery.
- Save time and money by letting Beuth help you manage your document collection.
DIN Handbooks - at Beuth Verlag
- DIN Handbooks are collections of full texts of standards on a specific topic, available at an incredibly low price. All DIN Handbooks are also available as eBooks.
- Throughout Germany there are standards "repositories", or libraries, where the public can view standards for free.
Branch-specific standards portals
- Point of contact for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) who have questions relating to standards and standardization.
- Helps SMEs identify the standards and specifications they need and assists in their application.
- Consults businesses who are interested in actively participating in the development of standards and specifications.