DIN's mission statement describes the self-image of the institution and its staff.
- is a world leader in the development of standards and specifications and uses professional project, process and consensus management to guide this work
- is recognized in an agreement with the Federal Republic of Germany as the national standards body, representing German interests in European and international standards organizations
- supports and advises German industry, the public sector, scientific and research institutions and society as a whole
- promotes consumer, environmental and general health protection, as well as occupational health and safety
- opens markets and contributes to fair competition and deregulation
- is a private organization registered as a non-profit association
Standards work is a joint task carried out by the stakeholders in standardization, their experts and DIN's staff. We, the DIN staff, are bound to fulfil the tasks and aims set out by our organization. Through our competence, motivation and commitment to performance we make a major contribution to DIN's success.
We act neutrally in the interest of the common good and of our customers: These include businesses of all sizes, the public sector, consumers, research organizations and all others who have a stakehold in our activities. We provide a platform which gives the diverse interests in standardization equal consideration. In this manner we actively contribute to consensus building by including all interested parties and by maintaining a close dialogue with other developers of technical rules, in accordance with the rules of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
We offer our customers efficient and transparent processes using the latest IT and communications technologies on the basis of our quality management system. Our entrepreneurial approach and market-oriented actions allow us to provide professional services at a reasonable price.
We promote the marketability and competitiveness of innovative products and services. Through interdisciplinary thinking and action we support technology transfer and convergence. Thanks to our flexible structures we can react quickly to changing conditions, and can open up new fields of activity at an early stage of development, i.e. during the research and development phase. We draw up standards and specifications in areas involving rapidly developing technologies using procedures which are in accordance with anti-trust laws.
We see ourselves as a learning organization. The most current knowledge and networked thinking and action have top priority in terms of the continual improvement of our processes. Here we make the best use of our individual abilities and knowledge to ensure effective and efficient cooperation. Our central task – standardization - requires us to deal with many differing opinions – always on the basis of fairness, respect, open communication and a constructive approach.
Our aim as an institution is to be exemplary in the development of standards and specifications through a high level of
- quality of processes, products and services, and
We draw up concrete goals on this basis in order to sustainably strengthen our position at national, European and international level in the interests of German business, the public sector, research and society as a whole.