Learn more about the goals of standards work at DIN.
The principles of standards work at DIN are laid down in its Statutes and in DIN 820-1:1994-04 according to which
"standardization is the systematic process by which tangible or intangible subjects are reduced to a desired degree of order by the joint efforts of the interested parties for the benefit of the entire community. It is not to result in individual interests gaining a special economic advantage.
It enhances efficiency in industry, technology, science and government. It serves to safeguard people and property and to improve quality in all areas of life.
It further serves as an instrument with which a given field of standardization can be effectively organized and facilitates the exchange of information in it.
Standardization is carried out at national, regional and international level."
The five goals of standardization in Germany as summarized in the "German Standardization Strategy" drawn up in 2004 are as follows:
Goal 1: Standardization secures Germany's position as a leading industrial nation
- Increase awareness among decision-makers in business, politics and society
- Establish and develop networks between standards bodies, business, associations and politics
- Establish priority sectors with the highest development and growth potential for the German economy
- Integrate standardization in research and development
- Promote the European model for adopting International Standards
- Work to establish the European standardization system in emerging economies and new and future EU member states
Goal 2: Standardization as a strategic instrument supports a successful society and economy
- Increase targeted marketing
- Create networks for public relations and information activities
- Improve the flow of information on standardization in companies
- Intensify education and training in standardization
Goal 3: Standardization is an instrument of deregulation
- Seek dialogue with political decision-makers
- Make a clear distinction between standardization and legislation
- Improve the implementation of the New Approach
- Expand into new sectors
Goal 4: Standardization and standards bodies promote technological convergence
- Develop standards for systems
- Identify scope for action in converging technologies
- Optimize structures
- Transfer to European and international levels
Goal 5: Standards bodies provide efficient procedures and tools
- Actively market the specification process
- Encourage use of specifications
- Assess market relevance of new standards projects
- Optimize processes
- Maintain quality of German standardization